What I want

by Arlyn on January 4, 2009

I want to be stronger on my bike. I want to be able to race and win on my bike. I want to lose 10 pounds before Boulevard. I want to be able to train harder and more often.

I want to live a long and healthy life. I want to remain active late into my life. I want to know my grandkids and watch them grow up.

I want to be engaged in life, up to something and not a spectator. I want to be on the field, not in the stands.

That’s what I want. Yesterday, I wrote about how it’s disingenuous to say you want something without doing what it takes to make it happen. That really stuck with me.

One thing I can do to get what I want is to quit drinking. If I quit drinking, I can immediately drop more than a pound a week. I’ll sleep better which means better recovery which means harder training more frequently. I’ll be more engaged and alert – it sounds dumb, but is true. I’ll be a more active participant in life. And I’ll reduce long term health risks.

So, I’m doing it. I’m quitting drinking until the Boulevard Road Race with the caveat that I can indulge in a couple of glasses of wine on the weekends when we have friends over. Other than that, I’m on the wagon. After Boulevard, I’ll examine the results and make my next move. And of course, I’ll share everything with you.

Why am I telling you? Well, another secret I’ve discovered is that you can’t have secret goals. The more people you tell, the easier it is to make it happen. It works because you’ll all help me and hold me accountable.

That’s my favorite part.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Mark January 4, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I’ll drink to that!

Scott January 4, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I went a year without drinking and that, combined with bicycling, helped me lose almost 15 pounds. I’m back to drinking beer again, and although I’m cycling more miles now than ever before, I’m gaining weight. Typical beer consumption occurs at the worst part of the day, the end, before going to bed, which means all those empty calories go directly to fat storage. Kudos to you for making this decision. The results may not be immediate but trust me, they will come. Congratulations.

Arlyn January 4, 2009 at 7:59 pm

@Mark: Cheers!

@Scott: Thanks, I calculated that I may be consuming an extra 6,000 calories a week! Last winter I went from a high of 218 down to 182. I’m pushing 195 again and would really like to get back to 185.

Mark January 4, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Wouldn’t it be easier if we simply switched to Sumo Wrestling?

Barry January 5, 2009 at 11:31 am

Try vertical stripes rather than horizontal ones, they make you look thinner.

Arlyn January 5, 2009 at 11:44 am

It’s a barrel of monkeys in here. @Mark: You’re not going to be laughing when I’m kicking your butt across the line.

uncadan8 January 6, 2009 at 6:12 am

Wise choices, my friend. And I’d make some kind of wise-crack, but the others are doing that quite nicely. I think you’ll really see some great changes, and the abstinence during the week will make the times of indulgence with friends that much sweeter.

Arlyn January 6, 2009 at 8:26 am

Thanks Dan. Good point about the weekends!

Alpha1 January 6, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Steve Jobs may have some ideas for you.

Arlyn January 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm

@Alpha1: He does! Have you seen that new 17″ Mac Book? That’s right up my alley.

will January 9, 2009 at 11:22 am

OK have been confused with the new web address.

Quit drinking? Yep, I have been trying for a significant reduction …. and have been tracking calories in some details recently. Guys that ride as much as us should be a little skinnier!

When we reach our weight goals lets go out for a beer. ;)

Good luck